Monday, January 26, 2009

Pawpaw

My grandfather, or Papaw, was (and remains) one of my favorite people in the world. He loved all of his grandkids and I loved him more than he probably ever realized. Today, January 26th, is his birthday.

My Papaw was raised in a little country church, one that his daddy and granddaddy helped to build. He had four children with my grandmother - including my mom who misses him so much. Papaw loved John Wayne and Bear Bryant. He loved dill-pickle chips and grapico to drink. He ALWAYS had a tan line (he owned a guardrail and fencing company and was always outside). He always called me Melanie Ann.

I had just turned 14 when Papaw was diagnosed with lung cancer. I will forever remember my mom telling me that Pop had cancer and I will always remember my dad waking me to tell me that my pop had passed away. My heart broke.

I think in the 12 years since his passing, I have learned even more about who my Papaw was and what he stood for. He was not perfect and he made many mistakes but I think that is what makes me cherish him even more.

Happy Birthday Papaw!



“Talk low, talk slow and don't say too much.” - John Wayne

0 Comments: