Friday, December 5, 2008

Leeds High School - 3A State Football Champions

I can't honestly say that I have been a die-hard Leeds Greenwave fan because I haven't attended a game since my brother graduated. But, I have kept up with this season (UNDEFEATED!) and have been really proud each week to hear that they progressed through the play-offs. I listened to most of the yesterday's championship game (Leeds vs. Cordova at Legion Field) and was so proud of these boys - a lot of whom I knew through church or from working at after school care several years ago. (And, it makes me feel very old to see that those cute little kids are now big, muscular guys.) Leeds defeated Cordova 38-21. I think this win was outstanding not only for those boys and their coaches but for the community. Something like this brings out one's pride. For weeks, even before playoffs, storefronts have had their Go Greenwave signs plastered on windows and each light post had green and white bows.

I grew up in Springville and while we never made it to Legion Field - we went to playoffs for maybe five straight years during my time. Springville was a community that was extremely proud and supportive of their teams and I missed that spirit when I moved to Leeds. I'm so happy the community has been behind its players and coaches. Go Greenwave!

0 Comments: